Tuesday, September 16, 2014

We had a good bit of frost last Friday. Much was damaged and some are gone. I was out of sorts all day on Friday and realized that evening that I just wasn't ready to say goodbye. I love our flowers, and have spent a lot (A LOT!) of time with them. They have been loyal, beautiful friends this summer. There is an intimacy in growing plants. You prepare a home, plant a seed, hope for germination, celebrate germination, tend the plant like the baby it is, prepare a new home, transplant, tend the transplant like the baby it is, celebrate growth. Most of all, HOPE for a bountiful, beautiful harvest, and celebrate and relish it when it comes. Mourn (and berate yourself a little) if it doesn't. The full impact of that intimacy hit me on Friday. I took a series of selfies trying to capture my feeling, and the field, and the sunset.




Really, this was the best one.

Now it's warm again. Today was possibly the most beautiful fall day ever. A touch warm, maybe, but so lovely. We have flowers for your CSA bouquets, but we're done with the co-ops next week. It's bittersweet like all good things in life. This season has been so intense for us. Early mornings, late nights, toddlerhood, powdery mildew, dahlias. I'm going to learn how to grow dahlias so help me. We are glad to slow down. Sad to let go of this season. I love making bouquets. Truth be told, I'm a little tired of harvesting flowers. But I can make flower bouquets and arrangements all day everyday. And I will miss it all.



Anyway, dear members, we have lilies and lisianthus in the caterpillar, gourds and small pumpkins curing in the greenhouse, and sweet annie, eucalyptus and broom corn drying for wreaths. I'm looking forward to trying my hand at some Thanksgivingish wreaths. If they turn out well, I'll send you all one with your last share bouquet.

We had a wedding this week. Here is a bouquet.


And a corsage.


Have a wonderful week!

Our best,
J,M&E

No comments:

Post a Comment