Thursday, September 1, 2016

Photo by A.Eastvold

Guest blog post and photos by Sarma. E and I call her Sarmita. We do love her. She's been an awesome employee, and become a great friend of our family. 


Whew.  It was a relief to have a break from bouquet making on Monday.  Hopefully the day of rest helps the flowers catch up with us.  We still made about 35 mixed bouquets but it was no 250.  Don’t get me wrong.  I cherish the opportunity to make happy bouquets to go home with folks, but lately its been a scramble to get enough flowers to make the bouquets what I would like them to be, since all the stress from storms has forced everything to bloom at once and it seems that extra moisture has several flowers rotting from the roots up.  Just a couple weeks ago I was wondering how I could possibly harvest everything, and now, the break was a treat.  Even though bouquet making is my only reason to get out of bed at 5 in the morning.  Bouquet making and chickens.  And cats.  And the farm family. 













Snoozing kitties!  Caught them on my lunch break!






I guess I would go to work anyway.  (Maybe people are realizing that this isn’t Jennifer.  It’s Sarma, one of the employees at Humble Pie, guest blogging this week!)

This morning I was listening to a podcast and doing some field stuff, and I had one of those moments when I realized again why I’m doing what I’m doing.  And why it’s so great that you’re all doing what you’re doing.  I heard this quote from Dennis Banks, a Native American environmental activist. 

  “We are part mountain.  We are part ocean, we are part river.  We are part flower and grass and tree, all of this.  We are part of all of it.”

















This stuff is my favorite.  Wow.  Smells.






We are.  Everything around us is sacred and precious, the flowers we get to send around, the fresh, local, organic, non-GMO food that it’s some of your jobs to supply, the air we breathe, the very ground we walk on.  Water.  

To me, flowers are this dazzling reminder that Earth is giving us a gift (life) and that we must appreciate and respect our home not just for necessities but also for pleasure and joy.   So I appreciate everyone’s commitment to first choosing flowers that do so.  There are a lot of really nice flowers out there that seem to cost less than these, but they are produced using methods that do not consider their true costs.  

With Humble Pie you’re getting great stuff and I get the best job I’ve ever had!  Thanks for supporting my super bosses, and this planet we so love!
































Sarma out.

No comments:

Post a Comment